Introducing AirPods Max — a perfect balance of exhilarating high-fidelity audio and the effortless magic of AirPods. The ultimate personal listening experience is here.
A radically original composition.
The over-ear headphone has been completely reimagined. From cushion to canopy, AirPods Max are designed for an uncompromising fit that creates the optimal acoustic seal for many different head shapes — fully immersing you in every sound.
The canopy spanning the headband is made from a breathable knit mesh, distributing weight to reduce on‑head pressure.
The stainless steel frame is wrapped with a soft-to-the-touch material for a remarkable combination of strength, flexibility and comfort.
Telescoping arms smoothly extend and stay where you set them, for a consistent fit and seal.
The beautifully anodized aluminum cups feature a revolutionary mechanism that allows each cup to rotate independently and balance pressure.
A custom-designed mesh textile wraps the ear cushions to provide pillow-like softness while listening.
Crafted with acoustically engineered memory foam, the ear cushions gently create an immersive seal that is the foundation of incredible sound.
The Digital Crown lets you precisely control volume, skip between tracks, answer phone calls and activate Siri.
Five colours. Anything but monotone.
Available as specified in Silver, Space Grey, Sky Blue, Pink, Green.
Sounds like an epiphany.
AirPods Max combine high-fidelity audio with industry-leading Active Noise Cancellation to deliver an unparalleled listening experience. Each part of their custom-built driver works to produce sound with ultra-low distortion across the audible range. From deep, rich bass to accurate mids and crisp, clean highs, you’ll hear every note with a new sense of clarity.
To cancel unwanted external sound, AirPods Max use a total of six outward-facing microphones to detect noise in your environment, and two inward-facing microphones to measure what you’re hearing. Beamforming microphones help isolate your voice on phone calls, so it’s heard clearly — even in windy situations.
Hear every detail
The Apple-designed dynamic driver produces a wide frequency range that uncovers the rich details of every sound — delivering your favourite songs with previously unheard texture and accuracy.
Modelled after those in high-end floor-standing speakers, the driver’s dual-neodymium ring magnet motor minimizes total harmonic distortion across the entire audible range. The result is consistently clear playback, even at full volume.
Computational audio. Key to performance.
With a powerful Apple‑designed H1 chip in each cup, our custom acoustic design and advanced software, AirPods Max use computational audio to create a breakthrough listening experience. By tapping into each chip’s 10 audio cores, computational audio helps block outside noise, adapts audio to the fit and seal of your ear cushions, and makes movie scenes sound like they’re happening all around you.
Industry‑leading Active Noise Cancellation counters external sound with equal anti‑noise, allowing you to immerse yourself in what you’re listening to.
Press the noise control button to switch to Transparency mode, which lets outside sound in so you can interact naturally with your surroundings.
Adaptive EQ tailors sound to the bespoke fit and seal created by the ear cushions. Inward-facing microphones measure what you’re hearing, then adjust the frequencies of your music to deliver a rich, consistent experience that faithfully reproduces every note.
Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking gives you a theatre‑like experience for movies and shows, with sound that surrounds you.1 Using built-in gyroscopes and accelerometers, AirPods Max and your iPhone or iPad track the subtle motion of your head, anchoring sounds to your device.
AirPods Max inherit all of the wireless, effortless magic of the AirPods family. From setup to Siri commands, they make the listening experience completely fluid — day to day, device to device.
AirPods Max connect immediately to your iPhone or iPad. To pair, simply place AirPods Max near your device and tap Connect on your screen.2
Seamlessly move between your iPhone, iPad and Mac.2 If you’re playing music on your Mac and take a call on your iPhone, AirPods Max will automatically switch over.
Easily share an audio stream between two sets of AirPods on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Apple TV. Bring any AirPods near the device you’re listening to and connect in a tap.3
More magic to play with.
AirPods Max pause audio when you take them off, and resume playback when you put them back on. So you never miss a beat.
Let Siri speak incoming messages as they arrive with Announce Messages.4 You can even tell Siri to respond — no hands required.
Get directions, check the weather, schedule a meeting and more with a simple "Hey Siri." With an expansive set of commands, your favourite personal assistant is more helpful than ever.
A case with staying power.
When stored in their soft, slim Smart Case, AirPods Max enter an ultra‑low‑power state that preserves charge.
A battery that keeps stayin’ alive.
20 hours of listening, movie watching or talk time — with Active Noise Cancellation and spatial audio enabled.5 Simply charge via Lightning connector. A quick five‑minute charge delivering 1.5 hours of listening.6
1. Spatial audio works with movies, TV and video in supported apps. Requires iPhone or iPad.
- iPhone and iPod touch models with the latest version of iOS.
- iPad models with the latest version of iPadOS.
- Apple Watch models with the latest version of watchOS.
- Mac models with the latest version of macOS.
- Apple TV models with the latest version of tvOS.
2. Requires an iCloud account and macOS 11.1, iOS 14.3, iPadOS 14.3, watchOS 7.2 or tvOS 14.3 or later.
3. Works with iPhone 8 or later and iPod touch (7th generation) with the latest version of iOS; and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, iPad Pro 10.5-inch, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air (3rd and 4th generation) and iPad mini (5th generation) with the latest version of iPadOS, and Apple TV with the latest version of tvOS.
4. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Internet access required. Cellular data charges may apply.
5. Testing conducted by Apple in November 2020 using preproduction AirPods Max and software paired with iPhone 12 Pro Max units and prerelease software. Testing consisted of full AirPods Max battery discharge while playing one of the following: a music playlist consisting of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding), a cellular phone call or a 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store until the AirPods Max stopped playback. Volume was set to 50%, Active Noise Cancellation on, and Spatial Audio on and active only during movie playback. Battery life depends on device settings, environment, usage and many other factors.
6. Testing conducted by Apple in November 2020 using preproduction AirPods Max and software paired with iPhone 12 Pro Max units and prerelease software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Volume was set to 50%, Active Noise Cancellation on, and Spatial Audio on but not active. 5-Minute charge testing conducted with drained AirPods Max that were charged for five minutes, then audio playback was started until the AirPods Max stopped playback. Battery life depends on device settings, environment, usage and many other factors.
7. AirPods Max can be used as Bluetooth headphones with Apple devices using earlier software and with non-Apple devices, but functionality is limited.