This telephoto zoom lens is designed with Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer (IS) technology while retaining compactness and lightness, in response to demands of photographers.
This high zoom ratio lens is equivalent to a focal length of 88-400mm in the 35mm format (when used on Canon EOS cameras compatible with EF-S lenses), In other words, if the slowest shutter speed you could formerly hold a 250mm lens steadily was 1/250th of a second, with Canon's 4-stop stabilization correction, you could hand-hold at shutter speeds as slow as 1/15th of a second. It also uses a UD-glass lens element to correct chromatic aberration for excellent image quality throughout the zoom range.
STM Stepping Motor Technology
STM lenses include Canon's new STepping Motor technology, which allows the lenses to smoothly and silently focus, and when used in combination with cameras with Canon's Movie Servo AF feature, achieve continuous AF while recording video. This stepping motor technology quietly focuses allowing the camera's microphone to only record the sounds of the scene being shot.
• Improved Movie Shooting Functions: Stepping motor with lead screws achieves quiet, smooth Movie Servo AF.*
• High-speed, quiet Auto-focusing achieved during viewfinder shooting.
• UD lens elements for excellent imaging performance.
• Equipped with an Image Stabilizer that provides an image stabilization effect equivalent to a shutter speed 3.5 stops** faster (telephoto end, when used with the EOS 7D). The Image Stabilizer also provides optimal image stabilization that responds to shooting conditions (such as shooting still subjects and following shots).
• Electronic manual focusing (MF) made possible by electronically detecting the rotation of the focusing ring.
• Manual focusing is available after the subject comes into focus in autofocus mode (ONE SHOT AF).
• Circular aperture for producing beautiful soft-focus images.
* Function compatible with the following camera (as of July 2013): EOS REBEL T5i/700D, EOS REBEL SL1/100D, EOS REBEL T4i/650D, EOS M (when using with Mount Adapter EF-EOS M)
** Image stabilization performance based on CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) Standards. During actual shooting, image stabilization performance varies depending on the amount of camera shake, shooting conditions, and other factors
• Maximum aperture: f/4 to f/5.6
• Lens construction: 12 elements in 10 groups, including one UD-glass element
• Diagonal angle of view: 27 degrees (at 50 feet) to 6 degrees (at 15 feet), with APS-C image sensors
• Focus adjustment: DC motor, gear-driven (front focusing design)
• Closest focusing distance: 3.6 feet (0.31x maximum close-up magnification)
• Filter size: 58mm
• Dimensions: 2.8 inches in diameter and 4.3 inches long
• Weight: 13.8 ounces